Preparation, I Pledge To:
- Make myself available to discuss plans for my
- Educate myself about what your organization does
- Familiarize myself with the theme of your meeting
and make my presentation relevant to it.
- Remember why I am there and have a specific,
well-thought-out plan to accomplish your goals for my talk.
- Communicate clearly with you in advance of my
Arrival On-Site, I Pledge To:
- Make contact with you as soon as I arrive, and let
you know immediately should any serious delays happen.
- Be totally accessable to you from the tme I arrive
until I depart.
- Retire early the night before my presentation.
- Be sensitive and reasonable in my use of room
charges and expenses.
- Arrive in the meeting room at least one hour before
I speak for a sound check.
- Actively coordinate with your set-up crew and other
presenters to make sure my needs are compatible with your overall needs.
- Stay in the background and out of the way until
called upon to speak.
- Mingle with the audience and other speakers before
the events begins to more accurately align my message with them.
- Be dressed appropriately, as requested.
- Make available a simple, brief introduction to my
introducer and be available to coach.
- Make encouraging suggestions to the crew as to how
to maximize the effectiveness of my presentation through creative use of
lighting, sound and staging.
- Be present in the room, seated and visible to you
well-before my introduction begins.
My Presentation, I Pledge To:
- Walk onto the platform cheerfully and begin my talk
with energy and focus.
- Never use off-color humor or language.
- Encourage audience participation through eye
contact, questions and interactive group activities.
- Utilize stories and humor appropriately and
- Give the audience well-researched, and useful
- Utilize appropriate multi-media slides and audio or
video clips to maximize the impact of my presentation.
- React maturely, good-naturedly and flexibly to any
problems that may arise during my talk.
- Never be rude or cause personal embarrassment to an
- Accomodate questions and comments from the audience
during my presentation.
- Summarize my main points and offer ways for the
audience to remember my main points.
- Consistently strive to relate my points to your
organization and people.
- Never abuse my assignment by turning my
presentation into a sales pitch.
- Only offer my books and tapes if approved or
requested in advance, and then only with tact.
- Faithfully observe my time frame and adjust if
- Faithfully tell you the TRUTH 100% of the
My Presentation, I Pledge To:
- Linger and mingle with my audience and other
speakers to briefly answer any questions and hear comments.
- Check out of my accomadations and depart with
minimum effort to you.
- Itemize my expenses and bill you promptly after the
- Provide receipts as required.
- Promptly fill any orders for my products.
- Send a copy of my email newsletter for each
audience member as a follow-up, if desired.
- Suggest strategies to continue the impact of my
message during follow-up.
- Never disclose any sensitive information about your
- Be willing to accept personal phone calls or email
to follow-up on the speech from individual audience members or
- I will deliver an exceptionally good presentation
in a highly professional manner.
*** Bruce Porter faithfully adheres to
these accountability standards, originally established by Jim Cathcart, CSP,
CPAE, and past president of the National Speakers Association, as a personal and
professional code of conduct for speakers.